Paintings in the Philip Johnson Glass House Painting Gallery, from left to right: Philip Johnson (1972) by Andy Warhol, Brzozdowce I (1973) by Frank Stella, Konskie III (1971) by Frank Stella, Tetuan II (1964) by Frank Stella, and Averroes (1960) by Frank Stella.
Photo © Harf Zimmermann.
The Frank Stella painting, Averroes (1960), from the Philip Johnson Glass House permanent collection is currently on view as part of the exhibition Frank Stella: Black, Aluminum, and Copper Paintings at L&M Arts gallery in New York.
Art critic Roberta Smith of the New York Times recently described the exhibition in her review Laying the Tracks Others Followed, Frank Stella’s Early Work at L&M Arts:
It features 13 of the adamant, quietly pulsing, exceedingly frontal paintings that Mr. Stella made in New York in the three and a half years after he arrived here in the summer of 1958, fresh out of Princeton.
This amounts to more early Stellas than have been exhibited in New York since the survey of his work at the Museum of Modern Art in 1970. They provide a heady sense of the first few fastest-moving years of his development, when he helped bring the Abstract Expressionist chapter of New York School painting to a close and lay the foundation for Minimalism.
Smith goes on to describe Stella’s Aluminum series, including Averroes:
But with the Aluminum series Mr. Stella is free and clear. There is nothing moody about their silvery, reflective surfaces or about the dazzling logic with which the bands of aluminum paint jog in and out in response to the discreetly shaped canvases, which have cutaway notches and squares at their corners, sides and centers.
The titles tend toward exotic if not downright flashy. “Averroes” and “Avicenna” are named for Arab philosophers (of the 11th and 12th centuries); “Marquis de Portago” commemorates a charismatic Spanish racecar driver who died in a fiery crash in 1957. The gaps between the stripes are much more definite than in the Black Paintings, since Mr. Stella outlined them in pencil, but a certain lack of neatness persists, especially when the stripes turn corners, contributing to ebullient play between figure and ground.
The exhibition is on view now through June 2, 2012, at L&M Arts gallery, 45 East 78 Street New York, NY 10075, 10:00 am – 5:30 pm Tuesday – Saturday, or by appointment. www.lmgallery.com
Frank Stella’s Work at the Glass House: The Philip Johnson Glass House is home to one of the most extensive collections of Stella’s work, fourteen major pieces by the artist spanning the years 1960 to 1990 and representing eleven separate series. The painting Averroes by Frank Stella was conserved on-site at the Glass House by Luca Bonetti in 2007, and it was the first artwork acquired from the Leo Castelli Gallery by Philip Johnson at the advice of David Whitney in 1961.
Visit the Glass House to see Stella’s work and the work of other notable artists in the Glass House permanent collection. For more information on Glass House tours visit: http://philipjohnsonglasshouse.org/visit/
The Glass House Visits Frank Stella’s Studio: Glass House Guide Christie Nichols views sculpture by artist Frank Stella during the February 2012 Glass House visit to the studio of artist Frank Stella.